About Power Aviation Services
Power Aviation Services Limited ("Power Aviation") is a boutique aircraft trading and advisory company. The company offers specialised aircraft trading, consulting and brokerage services to airlines, aircraft lessors, investors, high net worth individuals, banks & financial institutions worldwide.
With c. 40 years aviation industry experience, Gerry has represented numerous airlines, investors, aircraft leasing companies, banks & financial institutions worldwide and has concluded commercial aircraft transactions for hundreds of aircraft worth billions of dollars. Gerry has also advised high net worth individuals on the acquisition, sale and management of their private aircraft & helicopters.
Gerry started his aviation career with GPA Group and spent eight years from 1985 to 1993 working with the company, then the world’s largest aircraft lessor. He worked in a variety of senior management positions at GPA including Personal Assistant to Dr. T. A. Ryan (GPA’s founder, Chairman & CEO), Vice President Aircraft Acquisitions and Vice President Marketing. During this period he was based at different times in the US, UK, Belgium and at the company’s headquarters in Ireland.
Gerry founded Power Aviation in 1993.
Most recently, Gerry was seconded to Seraph Aviation and performed the duties of Chief Commercial Officer and Head of Origination (2020-2022).
- During the initial Covid period, Gerry restructured numerous aircraft leases including PT Batik (Lion Air Group), Hainan Airlines & ThaiAirAsiaX.
- Placed aircraft on lease with PIA (A320 x2) & Joy Air (B738).
- Won mandate from SinoSinga Aircraft Leasing for the restructuring of one B737-800 at Lion Air.
- Won mandate from Kirk Aviation for the management & sale of an eleven aircraft portfolio (7 Dash 8 Q400, 3 ATR72-500 & 1 Dash8-300).
- Sold two A380 aircraft on lease to Emirates Airlines to Aergo Capital.
- Played an influential role in the sale of Seraph Aviation to Aergo Capital (closed November 2022).
Previously, Gerry was seconded from Power Aviation to Aergo Capital where he performed the duties of Chief Commercial Officer from November 2015 through February 2018. Accomplishments during this period at Aergo included:
- Worked side-by-side with Aergo’s CEO to transform Aergo from an aircraft trading company to an airline-centric, operating lessor
- Developed Aergo’s global commercial team and established Aergo’s ‘Trading Floor Platform’ which primarily supports the commercial team.
- Played a hugely important role in upgrading the Company’s management systems and processes.
- Contributed significantly to Aergo’s ABS securitisation transaction in late 2017.
- Grew the fleet from 12 aircraft to 44 aircraft with a valuation in excess of $1 billion.
Gerry was Senior Vice President at Standard Chartered Bank Aviation Finance from April 2013 through August 2015. Accomplishments included:
- Closed Sale & Leaseback (“SLB”) transactions for 16 aircraft with a value of c. US$1.5 billion.
- Concluded the largest ever SLB concluded by the bank for 5 B787-8 ‘Dreamliners’ and 3 B777-300ERs with Qatar Airways.
Co-founded Thomas A Ryan & Associates (‘TARA’) Aerospace Limited (d.b.a. Tara Aerospace) with Dr. Tony Ryan and acquired a portfolio of MD80s leased to Alitalia. Managed this portfolio from 2000 to 2010 when the aircraft were sold.
Hands-on airline experience:
- Vice President of European Expedite, a pan-European freighter airline (1988-1989)
- Deputy Chairman of Ukraine International Airlines (1993)
- Chairman of Starair (Ireland) Limited, which operated an executive jet & helicopter charter service (1999-2012).
Gerry was a director (& investor) at Altobridge Limited, a leading provider of remote telecommunications solutions (including enabling technology by in-flight communications leader Aeromobile).
Co-founded Blue Ocean Wireless Limited along with Altobridge and Claret Capital. Blue Ocean Wireless focused on expanding communication capability in the merchant maritime sector and launched the world’s first GSM network for merchant maritime vessels. Arranged & negotiated the sale of a 30% equity interest in Blue Ocean Wireless to Smart Communications Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Philippines' leading telecommunications carrier, the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (NYSE: PHI).
Previously a member of the Advisory Team at Elevate Executive Selection, an Executive Search & Recruitment company based in Dublin.
Held numerous directorships with Irish aviation companies including Starair (Ireland) Limited, TARA Aerospace Limited, Flire Limited, TrueJet Limited, Loyds Aviation Finance Corporation Limited, KN Operating Limited and ADM Limited
Graduate of Pace University in New York with an MBA with distinction (also BBA from Pace University and NDBS from University of Limerick).