About Power Aviation Services
Power Aviation Services Limited ("Power Aviation") offers specialised aircraft trading and brokering services to airlines and to financial institutions worldwide.
The company primarily specialises in remarketing (selling and leasing) and sourcing aircraft for airlines and financial institutions but also provides aviation consulting services to regional airlines globally.
With 30+ years aviation industry experience, Gerry has represented numerous airlines, investors, leasing companies, banks & financial institutions and has concluded commercial aircraft transactions worldwide for over 150 aircraft. Gerry also advised high net worth individuals on the acquisition, sale and management of their private aircraft & helicopters.
Gerry started his aviation career with GPA Group and spent eight years from 1985 to 1993 working with the company, then the world’s largest aircraft lessor. He worked in a variety of senior management positions at GPA including Personal Assistant to Dr. T. A. Ryan (GPA’s founder, Chairman & CEO), Vice President Aircraft Acquisitions and Vice President Marketing. During this period he was based at different times in the US, UK, Belgium and at the company’s headquarters in Ireland.
Founded Power Aviation Services Limited, a boutique aircraft trading and advisory company, in 1993. The company provides specialised aircraft trading and brokering services to airlines, investors, high net worth individuals, banks and financial institutions worldwide.
Most recently, Gerry was seconded from Power Aviation to Aergo Capital where he performed the duties of Chief Commercial Officer from November 2015 through February 2018. Accomplishments during this period at Aergo included:
- Worked side-by-side with Aergo’s CEO to transform Aergo from an aircraft trading company to an airline-centric, operating lessor
- Developed Aergo’s global commercial team and established Aergo’s ‘Trading Floor Platform’ which primarily supports the commercial team.
- Played a hugely important role in upgrading the Company’s management systems and processes.
- Contributed significantly to Aergo’s ABS securitisation transaction in late 2017.
- Grew the fleet from 12 aircraft to 44 aircraft with a valuation in excess of $1 billion.
Gerry was Senior Vice President at Standard Chartered Bank Aviation Finance from April 2013 through August 2015. Accomplishments included:
- Closed Sale & Leaseback (“SLB”) transactions for 16 aircraft with a value of c. US$1.5 billion.
- Concluded the largest ever SLB concluded by the bank for 5 B787-8 ‘Dreamliners’ and 3 B777-300ERs with Qatar Airways.
Co-founded Thomas A Ryan & Associates (‘TARA’) Aerospace Limited (d.b.a. Tara Aerospace) with Dr. Tony Ryan and acquired a portfolio of MD80s leased to Alitalia. Managed this portfolio from 2000 to 2010 when the aircraft were sold.
Hands-on airline experience:
- Vice President of European Expedite, a pan-European freighter airline (1988-1989)
- Deputy Chairman of Ukraine International Airlines (1993)
- Chairman of Starair (Ireland) Limited, which operated an executive jet & helicopter charter service (1999-2012).
Director (& investor) at Altobridge Limited, a leading provider of remote telecommunications solutions (including enabling technology by in-flight communications leader Aeromobile).
Co-founded Blue Ocean Wireless Limited along with Altobridge and Claret Capital. Blue Ocean Wireless focused on expanding communication capability in the merchant maritime sector and launched the world’s first GSM network for merchant maritime vessels. Arranged & negotiated the sale of a 30% equity interest in Blue Ocean Wireless to Smart Communications Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Philippines' leading telecommunications carrier, the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (NYSE: PHI).
Previously a member of the Advisory Team at Elevate Executive Selection, an Executive Search & Recruitment company based in Dublin.
Held numerous directorships with Irish aviation companies including Starair (Ireland) Limited, TARA Aerospace Limited, Flire Limited, TrueJet Limited, Loyds Aviation Finance Corporation Limited and ADM Limited
Graduate of Pace University in New York with an MBA with distinction (also BBA from Pace University and NDBS from University of Limerick).